What am I doing over right here cooking a casserole on one of the hottest days of the summertime? Crazy, possibly, but the belly wants what the belly wishes, and mine needs King Ranch Chicken Casserole! This creamy tacky chook casserole recipe is pure consolation food heaven and I wager that’s simply what I need after months of ingesting nothing however summery refrigerator salads.
CREAMY KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE WITH NO “CREAM OF” CANNED SOUP
WHAT IS KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE?
King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a conventional Texan casserole, with layers of chook, cheese, tortillas, and a wealthy creamy gravy. Like plenty of casseroles, King Ranch Casserole is usually made with canned condensed soups. But in case you recognize me, you realize that I can’t get down with that. So I made a from-scratch version of this traditional recipe, with a short and smooth homemade creamy chook gravy.
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE, MY WAY
This is one of these recipes where there are as many variations as there are small cities in America. My interpretation of Kinch Ranch Chicken Casserole has a touch much less “sauce” and a bit greater texture. I did this by means of using crunchy tortilla chip strips instead of raw corn tortillas and used a touch much less of that creamy gravy than you would possibly typically discover in a King Ranch Casserole. It’s nonetheless creamy, tacky, and correct, simply less gloopy.
NO CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP, PLEASE!
I’m just not a fan of using condensed soup in my recipes. I’d rather just mix up a quick roux in the skillet and thicken the recipe that way.
THE ROTISSERIE CHICKEN SHORT CUT
If If you want to make your King Ranch Chicken Casserole a little easier, you can skip cooking the raw chicken breasts below and use pulled meat from a rotisserie chicken. You’ll need 2-3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken to replace the chicken breasts. You can start the recipe with the step where you add butter, onion, and bell pepper to the skillet, modifying by adding the 1 Tbsp chili powder to the vegetables instead of to the raw chicken.
HOW SPICY IS THIS KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE?
My casserole’s spice degree was honestly non-detectable. The warmth stage will vary based on components: the chili powder and the diced tomatoes with inexperienced chiles (Rotel). Chili powder (that is a chili seasoning, now not ground pink chiles) can vary in heat from brand to emblem and the one I have proper now (a grocery store well-known) has zero heat. The identical is authentic for canned diced tomatoes with inexperienced chiles. Some brands are highly spiced, a few are slight. Some label them as highly spiced or mild, a few do not. So simply be privy to these two components if you’re looking to manipulate the heat.
King Ranch Chicken CasseroleCourse: Chicken RecipesCuisine: American
6 About 1.5 cups each
This made from scratch King Ranch Chicken Casserole has layers of bird, tortillas, cheese, and a creamy sauce, with NO canned soups!
1 green bell pepper
2 green onions
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp chili powder
5 cups tortilla chip strips*
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 yellow onion
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1 10oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles (Rotel)
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup chicken broth
- Place the fowl breasts on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap, and use a mallet or rolling pin to pound the chook to an excellent thickness, about three/four to one-inch thick. Season both facets of the chicken breasts with chili powder.
- Heat the cooking oil in a massive skillet over medium. Once hot, swirl the oil to coat the floor of the skillet, then upload the seasoned chook breast. Cook the chook till browned on every side and cooked via, about 5 mins each aspect. Remove the bird to a smooth reducing board to chill.
- While the bird is cooking, finely dice the onion and bell pepper, and shred the cheddar cheese. Begin to preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- After putting off the chicken from the skillet, upload the butter, onion, and bell pepper. Sauté the onion and bell pepper within the butter over medium warmness till the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the flour to the skillet with the onion and bell pepper. Continue to sauté for approximately one minute extra, or till the flour coats the bottom of the skillet and turns golden brown.
- Add the hen broth to the skillet and stir to dissolve the flour and any browned bits of bird from the bottom of the skillet. Allow the broth to come back as much as a simmer, at which point it’s going to thicken to a gravy. Remove the skillet from the warmth.
- Drain the can of diced tomatoes with green chiles nicely. Dice the cooked bird. Stir the chicken and tomatoes into the gravy.
- After stirring the chicken and tomatoes into the gravy, upload the bitter cream and half of the cup of the shredded cheddar, and stir until blended.
- Layer a few handfuls of the tortilla chip strips into the bottom of a 9×13-inch or three-quart casserole dish. Spoon half of the chicken combination on top of the chips. Layer extra tortilla chip strips on the pinnacle (approximately half as an awful lot as before), then spoon the final chicken mixture on top. Finally, add the final 1.Five cups of shredded cheddar.
- Bake the casserole inside the preheated 375ºF oven for 15 minutes or till the cheese is melted and the casserole bubbles around the rims. Sprinkle sliced green onions on top after baking, then serve warm.
6 About 1.5 cups each servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories463.27
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Sodium 637.75mg 27%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 83.58g 335%
- Protein 28.1g 57%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
KING RANCH CHICKEN CASSEROLE rotel from scratch with tortilla chips no soup rice healthy doritos keto allrecipes a spicy perspective for crowd and velveeta by the pioneer woman authentic diners drive ins dives quinoa budget bytes ree drummond betty crocker best ever recipe cooking