This very tasty overnight baked French Toast casserole recipe brings French toast to an entirely new level! Sourdough breadcrumbs are covered in an egg mixture, topped with Cinnamon sugar, and baked to perfection! This easy French Toast casserole is the ultimate getaway or Weekend breakfast!
OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE RECIPE
I’ve blogged previously about love breakfast food. I could eat it any time of the day, and it was common enough to come to Merkley’s house at night and found us eating Belgian waffles or Buttermilk pancakes.
The breakfast recipe is just great! I feel like we can not eat them quite often in the morning because we are usually in a hurry, but we can sometimes enjoy it on weekends and holidays. Our one day holiday always breakfast is on Mother’s Day. And usually I’m not the one to bake it!!
One of my favorite recipes to enjoy on this day is the French toast, and more specifically, today’s French Toast Bake. This simple grilled breakfast to make and out delicious!
French casserole Toast is made of Sourdough bread pieces, covered in egg blends, and topped with sweetened cinnamon-sugar topping. Talk about DELICIOUS, right?!
WHAT IS THE BEST BREAD FOR FRENCH TOAST?
This French baked bread recipe casserole Calls Sourdough bread, which is my personal favorite (and the only kind I’ve ever used). But if you do not have Sourdough in hand, there are a few other options that you can try!
The main idea is that you want the bread to be sturdy enough that it will hold up after combined with the egg mixture. Thinly sliced or slippery bread (think Wonder bread) can fall apart while cooking after marinated in egg mixture. This is also a bonus if it is available in bread that is not cut, because you can slice and cube perfectly. Here are some other options:
- French Bread
- Pullman Loaf
If you try other breads, you should let me know how it turns out!
I think what makes it so good is Sourdough bread… Oh, and butter and cinnamon and sugar. This is definitely one of our favorite dishes to make a holiday and a weekend breakfast!
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST BAKE:
This recipe takes a few steps but is quite simple. To start, cut a loaf of bread or cake into a cube and place it into a 9 × 13 oily pan.
In a bowl, stir together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover your pot with sticky warp and cool it overnight.
Make a streusel topping by mixing wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut the butter with this mixture until fragile and place it in a Ziploc bag. Cool this mix overnight as well.
When ready for roasting, sprinkle fragile mixture evenly over the bread and bake.
For more savory casserole add HAM and cheese, Chorizo, Chile green, sausage, or crushed meat.
To add sweet casserole: thinly sliced apples, orange zest, apricot slices, pineapple slices, blueberries, chopped pecans
TIPS, TRICKS, AND FAQ
Why is my French toast wet? This casserole should be soft at the bottom and crispy on top. If you find your casserole out too wet try some of these tips:
- Soak the bread in a separate bowl: if there are too many eggs in the pan it may be left slightly wet. One of the ways around this is to store the bread mixture overnight in a bowl. In the morning the transfer of bread to the plate baking extra liquid leaves.
- Choose the right bread: choose a dense loaf like brioche, Challah, Pullman Loaf, or French Bread.
- Use a lip-lipped cookie sheet instead of a 9 × 13 baking dish. You have to adjust the baking time and watch carefully.
- Not soaking the bread quite long: you want the egg mixture to seep deep into the bread to center the soft custardy. If the mixture does not have time to soak into the bread it may end up creating a damp mess.
Can you freeze it? Yes, you can choose to freeze before or after baking. Wrap the plate with a plastic wrap then foil. It can save up to 2 months in the freezer. When you are ready for an overnight meal in the fridge, remove all the wrappers and bake. If already prebaked cook at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. If it is not ripe, cook according to recipe instructions.
Can French toast baked casserole in a crockpot? Yes make according to the prescription instructions. Refrigerate for 6-10 hours in ceramic Crock-Pot. Place a ceramic pan into the heater base, cover, and cook low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
FOR MORE RECIPES, CHECK OUT:
This very tasty overnight French Toast Bake recipe brings French toast to a whole new level! Sourdough bread pieces are covered in egg blends, topped with cinnamon sugar, and baked to perfection! This easy French toast is a final vacation or a weekend breakfast!!
- 2 TB vanilla
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 c milk
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 8 eggs
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter cold, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c flour
- Cut the bread into cubes and place them evenly in an oily 9×13 pan.
- In a bowl, stir together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread.
- Cover your pot with a suggestion wrap and cool it overnight.
- Mix wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut the butter with this mixture until fragile and place in a Ziploc bag and cool off overnight too.
- Take the pan and Ziploc out when ready for baking. Sprinkle fragile mixture evenly over the bread.
- Bake in 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how gentle you like it.
- Category: Breakfast Recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 580
- Sugar: 37g
- Sodium: 563mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 74g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 220mg
Keywords: French Toast Casserole